The Night That Panicked America is a made-for-television movie that dramatizes the events surrounding Orson Welles' famous - and infamous - War of the Worlds radio broadcast (based on the novel of the same name by English author H.G. Wells) of October 30, 1938, which had led some Americans to believe that an invasion of Martians was occurring in New Jersey.
The film tells the story of the 1938 broadcast from the point of view of Welles and his associates as they create the broadcast live, as well as from the points of view of a number of different fictional American families, in a variety of locations and from a variety of social classes, who listened to the broadcast and believed the imaginary Martian invasion was actually occurring, with some people even committing suicide.
It premiered on the ABC network on October 31, 1975 and starred Michael Constantine, Meredith Baxter-Birney, Tom Bosley, Eileen Brennan, Vic Morrow, Will Geer, and John Ritter. Paul Shenar played Orson Welles. Some local stations in various areas of the United States have annually rebroadcast the movie on October 30, the anniversary of the original radio broadcast or on Halloween itself, October 31.
The movie has never been officially released on VHS or DVD, but you can find bootleg DVDs online of an old VHS recording.
- 2012 Halloween Party and Safety Videos
- 1982 Trick or Treats
- 2009 Spooky Bats and Scaredy Cats
- 1998 The Worst Witch - A Mean Halloween
- 1971 Funky Phantom - Headless Horseman
- 1988 Fun House - Halloween
- 1983 Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Scary Tales
- 1977 Donny & Marie Osmond - Halloween skits
- 1991 Miss Switch Mystery Special
- 1985 The Fall Guy - October the 32nd with Elvira
- 1979 The Flintstones Meet Rockula And Frankenstone...
- 1987 Creepy Classics with Vincent Price
- 1972 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goo...
- 1992 & 1995 The Three Stooges Fright Night
- 1927 Felix The Cat - 1931 Toby the Pup
- 1997 You Wish - Halloween
- 1997 Disney's Quack Pack - House of Haunts
- 1988 Grampa Munster's Monster Movies
- 1999 The Scooby-Doo Project
- 2000s Real Scary Stories - Scary...But True
- 1988 Grampa Munster's Silly Scaries - 1989 More Si...
- 1987 Werewolf - All Hallow's Eve
- 2000s Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Halloween bumpers...
- 1975 The Night That Panicked America
- 1970s-2000s Monster Cereal commercials
- 1988 Unsolved Mysteries - Halloween Ghost Special
- 2003 Looney Tunes - Twick or Tweety
- 1990s Elvira, Rick Dees and Halloween
- 1983 Son Of Svengoolie - The Worst Of Svengoolie
- 1987 Tom & Jerry Halloween Special
- 1973 Sigmund and the Sea Monsters - Trick Or Treat...
- ▼ October (31)