Svengoolie is a horror movie show, named for its host, who introduces each movie, provides background info on the movie, and performs skits and jokes during intermissions. The show is a long-running local program in the Chicago area and in recent years expanded nationally, airing Saturday nights on MeTV. I'm not sure when "Halloween 1978" aired on Svengoolie but the "Halloween III: Season of the Witch" episode aired November 7 1998.
Horror host Svengoolie sings "I Don't Wanna Work, I Want to use Halloween to Slay!" which is parody of the song "Bang on the Drum" by Todd Rundgren. Originally shown during an airing of "Halloween '78" and retooled for an airing of "Offerings" (which was a big rip-off of the Carpenter classic):
Svengoolie's show opener for "Halloween III: Season of the Witch":
Svengoolie explains why there's no Michael Meyers in "Halloween III: Season of the Witch", but his version is wrong, the real reason why no Myers in HIII is because he died in Halloween II and John Carpenter wanted to continue the films as an anthology series where each sequel would tell a new horror story that takes place on Halloween. But HIII bombed at the theaters so they brought back Myers in Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers. I would have loved to see a new John Carpenter produced Halloween horror film every year, HIII is my favorite flick from the franchise.
Svengoolie's song "Puttin' on the Mask!" performed during the airing of "Halloween III". The song is a parody of "Puttin' On the Ritz" a song written by Irving Berlin in May 1927 and first published it in December 2, 1929. The tune has enjoyed a number of revivals, cover versions of the song were performed by Clark Gable, Fred Astaire, Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald, Neil Diamond, a humorous duet by Gene Wilder as Dr. Frederick (Von) Frankenstein and Peter Boyle as the inarticulate monster in Mel Brooks' 1974 film Young Frankenstein, 80's pop star Taco, even Robbie Williams performed the song on his 2013 Swing/Pop album Swings Both Ways, plus many other lesser known musicians:
- 2001 Halloween VHS Recording of....
- 1995 Monster Mash: The Movie
- 1989 The Wickedest Witch
- 1998 Svengoolie - Halloween (1978) and Halloween I...
- 1995 A Spine-Tingling Look At Tales from the Crypt...
- 1985 CBS Storybreak - Witch-Cat
- 2012 There's Something Following Me
- 1930-1960 Spook Show Theater Trailers
- 2009 Wolfman Mac's Chiller Drive-In
- 1994 Walt Disney World Inside Out - October Hallow...
- 1994 The Norfin Adventures Castle of Doom
- 2007 Headless Horseman
- 1984 Elvira's MTV Halloween Special - Rockula Retr...
- 2011 The Dreadful Hallowgreen Special
- 1995 The Missionary Mice Adventures - True Hallowe...
- 1982 Bunnicula The Vampire Rabbit
- 1981 The Munsters' Revenge
- 1977-1981 Sha Na Na
- 1991-2000 Monstervision - Halloween II (1981), III...
- 1986 My Pet Monster
- 1987 CBS Storybreak - The Monster's Ring
- ▼ October (21)