Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies is a 1972 one hour special that aired as part of The ABC Saturday Superstar Movie. Warner Bros. "loaned out" their famous Looney Tunes characters to interact with the characters from the Filmation animated series Groovie Goolies that aired on CBS from September 12, 1970 to September 4, 1971. The Goolies were a group of hip monsters who looked and sounded like comedic versions of the classic horror-film monsters created in the 1930s and 1940s, mostly by Universal Pictures.
The concept is pretty wild: The Groovy Goolies are big fans of the Looney Tunes characters and while watching them on TV they hear that a King Arthur movie that Daffy is making, is being sabotaged by a mysterious Phantom character. What happens next? Why Drac, Frankie, Wolfie and the other Goolies rush off to Hollywood to help save Daffy and Porky's film. Other characters featured include Petunia Pig, Sylvester, Tweety, Wile E. Coyote, the Road Runner, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepé Le Pew, Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, and Charlie Dog. Oddly, Bugs Bunny is absent from this project.
Mel Blanc voiced the Looney Tunes characters but notice how Daffy's voice has been sped up too much instead of only a little bit, like in the classic shorts. Daffy now sounds like his late 1930s self, or even Woody Woodpecker! (I was half-expecting Daffy to start acting like his classic "crazy" self at times.) Also note how Porky's voice was NOT sped up at all, and sounds awkward. Tweety's dialogue is also too fast. And like most Saturday morning cartoons from the 1970s, this special also has an adult laugh track which laughs at everything, even if it's not funny.
The complete Groovie Goolies animated series and the classic Looney Tunes shorts have been released on DVD but this special has never had a VHS or DVD release due to various rights issues. This really isn't a Halloween special but it is rare and I figured the Goolies are based on the Universal classic monsters and I love watching those monster movies when October rolls around. Finally I must admit, this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'd say it's a "so bad it's good" type of special and required viewing for anyone who's a fan of the Looney Tunes characters and/or the Groovie Goolies.
Heres a 2018 Restoration by YouTuber netscapenow. Spliced from a
2013 German TV broadcast (first part only), "Groovie Ghouls" 1980s UK VHS, 1972 original broadcast (B/W print), and "The Haunted Heist":
Part 1 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies by Wiley208
Part 2 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies by Wiley208
Part 3 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies by Wiley208
YouTuber wileyvision13 corrected Daffy, Porky and Tweety's voices in this version of the entire special:
- 2012 Halloween Party and Safety Videos
- 1982 Trick or Treats
- 2009 Spooky Bats and Scaredy Cats
- 1998 The Worst Witch - A Mean Halloween
- 1971 Funky Phantom - Headless Horseman
- 1988 Fun House - Halloween
- 1983 Walt Disney Cartoon Classics: Scary Tales
- 1977 Donny & Marie Osmond - Halloween skits
- 1991 Miss Switch Mystery Special
- 1985 The Fall Guy - October the 32nd with Elvira
- 1979 The Flintstones Meet Rockula And Frankenstone
- 1987 Creepy Classics with Vincent Price
- 1972 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goo...
- 1992 & 1995 The Three Stooges Fright Night
- 1927 Felix The Cat - 1931 Toby the Pup
- 1997 You Wish - Halloween
- 1997 Disney's Quack Pack - House of Haunts
- 1988 Grampa Munster's Monster Movies
- 1999 The Scooby-Doo Project
- 2000s Real Scary Stories - Scary...But True
- 1988 Grampa Munster's Silly Scaries - 1989 More Si...
- 1987 Werewolf - All Hallow's Eve
- 2000s Cartoon Network/Adult Swim Halloween bumpers
- 1975 The Night That Panicked America
- 1970s-2000s Monster Cereal commercials
- 1988 Unsolved Mysteries - Halloween Ghost Special
- 2003 Looney Tunes - Twick or Tweety
- 1990s Elvira, Rick Dees and Halloween
- 1983 Son Of Svengoolie - The Worst Of Svengoolie
- 1987 Tom & Jerry Halloween Special
- 1973 Sigmund and the Sea Monsters - Trick Or Treat
- ▼ October (31)