Quacula is an animated vampire duck created by Filmation that debuted on September 8, 1979, on the first episode of The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse and Heckle & Jeckle. Quacula (voiced by Frank Welker) is depicted as an anthropomorphic pale blue vampire duck with a Daffy Duck-like beak and fangs, dressed in a blue jacket and a black cape with a red lining. He slept by day in a white coffin shaped like an egg, in the basement of a house owned by an anthropomorphic bear named Theodore (voiced by Norm Prescott). Every night Quacula would rise from his coffin and try to terrify Theodore and others, but he would never really succeed; his antics tended to be more comical than frightening. Also, Theodore would come up with one plan after another to rid himself of Quacula, but always fails to do so.
Cartoonist Scott Shaw filed suit against Filmation due to the fact that he had created a character named Count Duckula for the comic book Quack! #1 (July 1976), published by Star*Reach. The matter was settled out of court, and after 16 episodes Quacula was dropped from the show, which was shortened from an hour to a half-hour. Those shorts had to be edited off subsequent rebroadcasts. Count Duckula would later receive his own self-titled animated comedy-drama dark fantasy series created by British studio Cosgrove Hall Films and produced by Thames Television that aired from 6 September 1988 to 16 February 1993. Count Duckula was a spin-off from Danger Mouse, a series in which the Count Duckula character was a recurring villain.
Congrats if your manage to watch it to the very end. It's truly atrocious, but I love Quacula's catchphrase "Bummer." Much of the music came from other Filmation animated series The Groovie Goolies and several of the Archies tv shows. YouTube user Grimbot2 uploaded all 16 Quacula shorts, so binge to your heart's content, as the shorts add up to just under 2 hours of crazy, weird and bad comedy. A bootleg DVD of the video below, plus other rare cartoons and series, can be purchased at OnTheRunVideo.com
- Classic Disney Channel Halloween Cartoons and Shows
- 1976 Kenny & Co.
- 1991 Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater - Horror Hosts Hal...
- 1986 Mr. Boogedy and 1987 Bride Of Boogedy present...
- 2004 Lil Creepers
- The Midnight Hour - ABC Movie Special (Nov.1,1985)
- 1989 Screen Scaries
- 1993 Elvira's Halloween Movie Schlock-A-Thon on TBS
- 1971-1977 The Electric Company: Classic Monsters
- 1991 Ghostly Thrillers
- Commander USA Groovie Movies - Trick Or Treats 1982
- 2004 Tales from the Crypt: From Comic Books to Tel...
- 1997 Monster Mania, 1999 Attack of the 50 ft. Mons...
- 2000-2002 MTV's Fear
- 1999 Little Witch
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Oct.31,1980 NBC Broa...
- 1998 Universal Horror
- 1974 The Horror Hall of Fame: A Monster Salute
- 1987 The New Adventures of Beans Baxter - A Nightm...
- 1979 Quacula
- ▼ October (20)