This is the October 31, 1980 NBC broadcast of the made for tv film The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. With hosting segments featuring Gary Coleman and Steve Allen, and a whole wonderful package of commercials and news clips. Missing is the very beginning - probably missing an intro hosting segment - and missing the very end of the last hosting segment. The film was later officially released to VHS but never on DVD.
Jeff Goldblum's tall and gangly appearance is perfectly suited as Ichabod Crane, Meg Foster (those eyes are unmistakable) as Katrina von Tassel, and Dick Butkus gives a great supporting performance as insensitive Brom Bones. Filmed in Utah and directed by Henning Schellerup. Executive producer Charles Sellier was nominated for an Emmy Award for his work on the movie.
In a departure from the original story, the film ends with Ichabod arriving at Katrina's house and the Headless Horseman returning to the dark forest. It also introduces an original character, widow Thelma Dumkey; while Brom Bones and Ichabod Crane are rivals for Katrina, Thelma is Katrina's rival for Brom Bones. Thelma and Brom become engaged at the end of the film. Here is the IMDb synopsis below:
Angered that Katrina has grown fond of schoolmaster Crane, Brom Bones determines to scare off the interloper by filling his head with spooky tales of a Headless Horseman. Crane disparages the legends, until one fateful ride home in the dark of night.
Friday, October 6, 2017
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Oct.31,1980 NBC Broadcast
Labels: 1980s, Headless Horseman, Movies, Sleepy Hollow
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- 1980s-1990s Classic Disney Channel Halloween Carto...
- 1976 Kenny & Co.
- 1991 Joe Bob's Drive-In Theater - Horror Hosts Hal...
- 1986 Mr. Boogedy and 1987 Bride Of Boogedy present...
- 2004 Lil Creepers
- The Midnight Hour - ABC Movie Special (Nov.1,1985)
- 1989 Screen Scaries
- 1993 Elvira's Halloween Movie Schlock-A-Thon on TBS
- 1971-1977 The Electric Company: Classic Monsters
- 1991 Ghostly Thrillers
- Commander USA Groovie Movies - Trick Or Treats 1982
- 2004 Tales from the Crypt: From Comic Books to Tel...
- 1997 Monster Mania, 1999 Attack of the 50 ft. Mons...
- 2000-2002 MTV's Fear
- 1999 Little Witch
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Oct.31,1980 NBC Broa...
- 1998 Universal Horror
- 1974 The Horror Hall of Fame: A Monster Salute
- 1987 The New Adventures of Beans Baxter - A Nightm...
- 1979 Quacula
- ▼ October (20)
I really dig this show! wrote about it a few years ago.ReplyDelete
I liked this too, that was a great review Bob :)Delete
Why is the video gone?ReplyDelete